The Board of Directors in the Financial Sector
WHY THIS PARTICULAR SPECIALISED TRAINING COURSE?
A good policy requires competent directors. In the financial sector, in addition to the risks of managing a bank, a lot of strategic challenges have been identified, such as digitisation, and IT infrastructure along with how management, employees or fellow directors can be challenged.
During the training course, you can benefit optimally from the knowledge and experience of our experts. Their network is unique, they are multidisciplinary and they are up to date on all the latest trends and developments in the area of governance. In addition, the programme offers a balanced mix of empirically substantiated theory and practical cases.
WHO IS THIS TRAINING COURSE FOR?
- Candidate directors: promising directors who need to prepare for a possible role at the top of their financial organisation.
- Experienced directors from other sectors: exercising a (possibly new) mandate in the financial sector and seeking clarification on specific aspects of banking governance.
- Existing directors (CEOs, COOs, CFOs and other senior executives): the strengthening of existing skills or preparation for new mandates within the Board.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS FOR THE DIRECTOR OF THE FUTURE?
- Board operations: get a better understanding of the broader context in which the Board of a financial organisation operates.
- Knowledge and competences: acquire an overview of the knowledge and competences that directors are required to possess today.
- Skills specific to directors: develop specialised financial skills.
- Contributing to a strategic corporate trajectory: apply the levers to efficiently take up the role of director and for cooperating optimally with management and shareholders.
A UNIQUE PARTNERSHIP
By bringing together the many years of expertise of GUBERNA, the Institute of Directors and Febelfin Academy, the training institute for the financial sector, you can focus on all aspects of corporate governance of financial institutions through this programme.
In addition, the further professionalisation of directors in specific technical-financial issues is part of the “fit and proper” assessment by the NBB. Due to the support of the NBB and FSMA, this programme provides unprecedented “public-private cooperation”.
Module 1: Financial landscape and regulatory outlook
Day 1 - 11/03/2020:
Trainer: Freddy Van den Spiegel; Guest speaker: Koen Vanderhoydonk
The role of banks in our society: today and in the future
- The importance of financial intermediation
- Lending by banks
- The impact of the crisis and the new regulations imposed on Belgian banks
The key elements of banking management
- The elements of risk and risk management
- Profitability: a challenge in the current climate
The strategic challenges for Belgian banks
The impact of Regtech and Fintech
Module 2: Governance of the financial institution
Day 2 - 01/04/2020:
Trainers: Abigail Levrau - Caroline Veris; Guest speaker: Bart De Smet and representative NBB
Interactive workshop on governance:
- A summary of the reference framework for governance in the financial sector
- Applicable regulations and guidelines of the supervisors
- Important trends and challenges
- An optimal composition of the Board of Directors
- Basic principles and best practices
- Specific requirements for the financial sector: Fit & Proper, expertise, integrity, rules on limiting the accumulation of mandates
Day 3 - 29/04/2020:
Trainers: Abigail Levrau - Caroline Veris; Guest speaker: Frank Stockx
Case study: “specific decisions” of the Board of
Directors in relation to:
- Independent audit functions
- Executive management
- Shareholders (incl. relevant points for attention within the group structure)
- Handling conflicts of interest
■ Module 3: Operation of a financial institution
Day 4 - 13/05/2020:
Trainer: Alexandre Deveen; Guest speaker: Georges Hübner
The operation of a financial institution
- Financial institutions within the Eurozone
- The foundations of banking and insurance: Expected return and risks; Supervision
- The banking model and the insurance model: Balance sheet, Regulations and challenges, The various products and services
- Banks versus insurance institutions
- Conclusion: the future of financial services
Module 4: Risk management of a financial institution
Day 5 - 03/06/2020:
Trainer: Hans Buysse, Guest speaker: Eric Pulinx and representative FSMA
- Introduction: financial markets
- Risk management: definitions and concepts
- Identification of the different risks
- Risk Management in a trading environment
- The ALM concept
- Important risk-related concepts
- Period of reflection for board members, probability and impact of risks
- Recovery planning
Day 6 - 24/06/2020:
Trainers: Hans Buysse – Abigail Levrau
The liability of directors in the financial sector
- Interactive workshop: the evaluation of the Board of Directors - collectively and individually
- Framework based on basic principles and best practices as well as relevant legal provisions
Aarlenstraat/Rue d’Arlon 80? 1040 Brussels
Dates: 11/03, 01/04, 29/04, 13/05, 03/06 and 24/06/2020
Member Price: €5,100
Price for non-members: €5,400
If you are interested to participate, please contact Mieke Dhont, Business Project Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org | 02 507 69 65