The Board of Directors in the financial sector
"The 'Board of Directors in the Financial Sector' program is a 6-day executive course focused on corporate governance. It equips directors with the skills needed for the evolving financial landscape. Competent directors are essential for effective policies. In finance, alongside bank management risks, challenges like digitalization, IT infrastructure, and management dynamics must be navigated. Our program leverages experts' knowledge, diverse networks, and current insights for optimal learning. It blends empirical theory and practical cases to provide a comprehensive learning experience."
Day 1 – 13 September 2023:
Trainer: Freddy Van den Spiegel
Guest speaker: Strypstein Nicolas (NBB) & Tom Boedts (Aion Bank)
Part 1: The role of banks in our society:
- The importance of financial intermediation
- Lending by banks
- Strategic challenges of a financial institution in a rapidly changing environment (e.g. crisis, new regulation, digitalisation, sustainability, geo-political etc.
The key elements of banking management
- The elements of risk and risk management
- Profitability: a challenge in the current climate
Part 2: The future of banking : Banking as a Service (Tom Boedts)
Part 3: The role of the regulator in the Belgian & European context (Strypstein Nicolas)
Day 2 – 27 September 2023:
Guest speaker: Bart De Smet
Part 1: interactive workshop on governance:
- A summary of the reference framework for governance in the financial sector
- Applicable regulations and guidelines of the supervisors
- Important trends and impact on the board
Part 2: An optimal composition of the Board of Directors
- Basic principles and best practices
- Specific requirements for the financial sector
Part 3: Corporate Governance for Insurance Companies : case study Ageas (Bart De Smet)
Day 3 – 25 October 2023:
Guest speaker: Michaël Anseeuw & Stephan Dierckx
Part 4: The role of the board of directors : finding the right balance
Interactive session based on dilemma’s
Reflections: The Fox and the Hedgehog (Michael Anseeuw)
Part 6: Deep dive: how should the board tackle digitalisation? (Stephan Dierckx)
Day 4 – 8 November 2023:
Trainer: Alexandre Deveen
Guest speaker: Georges Hübner
The operation of a financial institution
- Financial institutions within the Eurozone
- The foundations of banking and insurance
Expected return and risks
- The banking model and the insurance model
Regulations and challenges
The various products and services
Banks versus insurance institutions
Conclusion: the future of financial services
The role of the audit and risk committee (Georges Hubner)
Day 5 – 29 November 2023:
Trainer: Hans Buysse
Guest speaker: Eric Pulinx and representative Els De Keyser (FSMA)
Part 1: Interactive workshop on Risk management
- Introduction: financial markets
- Risk management: definitions and concepts
- Identification of the different risks
- Risk Management in a trading environment
- The ALM concept
- Important risk-related concepts
- Period of reflection for board members, probability and impact of risks
- Recovery planning
Part 2: The role of the regulator in the Belgian & European context : Els De Keyser
Day 6 – 6 December 2023
Guest speaker: Tamar Joulia-Paris, Frédéric Vangheluwe
Part 3 Deep dive: Evolution in Risk management :
- The impact of sustainability and diversity combined with a case study (Tamar Joulia Paris & Frédéric Vangheluwe)
Part 4: Roles and responsibilities of directors in the financial sector: the legal perspective
Part 5: Interactive workshop: the evaluation of the Board of Directors
- Which process?
- What is the content?
Framework based on basic principles and best practices as well as relevant legal provisions
- Candidate directors: promising directors who need to prepare for a possible role at the top of their financial organisation.
- Experienced directors from other sectors: exercising a (possibly new) mandate in the financial sector and seeking clarification on specific aspects of banking governance.
- Existing directors (CEOs, COOs, CFOs and other senior executives): the strengthening of existing skills or preparation for new mandates within the Board.
Interested to follow this training programme?
You can register via the Febelfin Academy website
€ 5.100 (excl. VAT)
€ 5.400 (excl. VAT)
A unique partnership
By bringing together the many years of expertise of GUBERNA, the Institute of Directors and Febelfin Academy, the training institute for the financial sector, you can focus on all aspects of corporate governance of financial institutions through this programme.
In addition, the further professionalisation of directors in specific technical-financial issues is part of the “fit and proper” assessment by the NBB. Due to the support of the NBB and FSMA, this programme provides unprecedented “public-private cooperation”.